Without a plan, I craved Lomi! Definitely not good because I haven’t gone to the grocery store in a week. So… searching our fridge, pantry, down every nook and cranny, I found these.
I called my mother-in-law, my Chinese cooking mentor, and asked her to recap the recipe.
And quickly and easily, here goes… No Ingredients Lomi!
1/2 tsp sesame oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium red onion, diced
1/2 tsp five spice
1/2 cup meat, diced (pork, chicken, beef or seafood)
3 pcs fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced in thin strips
1/2 medium cabbage, julienned
1 medium carrot, julienned
1 thumb ginger, sliced
1 small pack fresh noodles (I used mami noodles here)
3 cups chicken broth or water
3 pcs medium eggs
1 Tbsp cornstarch, dilute in 1/2 cup water
1 bunch spring onions, minced
To taste salt (or patis) and pepper
Boil a pot of water with ginger. Add noodles as soon as water boils. Boil for 3-5 Mins or until noodles are cooked yet firm to the touch.
Strain while pouring cold water to stop cooking. Reserve.
1. Sauté onions and garlic in sesame oil. Add five spice. Quickly add meat.
2. Cook meat well. Add mushrooms. Season.
3. Add all vegetables. Add broth if available, if not, water will do. Season.
4. Add noodles and simmer until vegetables are cooked.
5. Add cornstarch and continue stirring slowly while adding the eggs.
6. Season and top with spring onions.